6 must-try fake tanning hacks
If you’re an at-home tanning pro, there’s not a lot you don’t already know about tanning, let’s be honest. So we asked a couple of industry experts to share a few faux glow pearls of wisdom – because you should never stop learning! Here are our favourite fake tan hacks to help take your faux glow to the next level.
RELATED: How to apply bronzer like a pro
• Always shave or wax and exfoliate at least 24 hours before tanning. “Removing excess dead skin will help your tan last longer,” says Suyin Ginn from Spring Spa. “Spray tan actually tans the dead skin cells, so the less there is the longer it will last.”
• Make sure you scrub with a non-oily exfoliator to remove dead skin cells and create a smooth canvas for your tan. If you use a product with an oil base, it will likely leave residue on your skin and leave you with an uneven finish. “This is the one time when coconut oil is not good for you!” says Little Honey founder Kate Walsh.
• Avoid showering or shaving right before you tan, says Suyin. “Showering can open pores and if the pores don’t get a chance to close, you can be left with small tan spots across the skin. Showering just before a tan can also unbalance the pH of the skin.” If you have open pores and like to tan your face, Kate recommends running an ice cube over those areas first to tighten the skin and prevent the tan from settling.
• If you’re nervous about tanning your face, Kate recommends mixing one pump of your fake tan with your night moisturiser for a soft golden glow.
• A tanning mitt is an essential tool for achieving a flawless tan, and it helps prevent tell-tale brown palms, too. When your mitt needs a clean, simply take it into the shower with you and wash it with your shampoo, then leave it on your towel rail to dry.
• For tanning mishaps on small areas such as knuckles, Kate’s trick is to apply a small amount of whitening toothpaste and rub with a warm, damp flannel until you’ve buffed off what you need to. For larger areas, douse a damp flannel with lemon juice, microwave for two minutes, then rub the affected area – checking the flannel is not scolding hot first, of course.
bh loves: Little Honey The Boyfriend Glove XL Tan Glove, $19.99; Coola Organic Sunless Tan Firming Lotion, $85; St Tropez Self Tan Purity Bronzing Water Mousse, $59.95; Little Honey Flawless Bronzing Mist, $45.