Steal their style: Our ultimate celebrity summer hair icons
As we near the end of another year, for some New Year resolutions will be weighing heavily on the mind while for others (us) we’ll be desk-daydreaming about all the summer fun that’s about to be had. But, who said you can’t do both?
RELATED: summer hair trends for 2020
A resolution doesn’t need to mean all work no play - why not commit to a hair transformation this New Year instead?
Every now and then, or year, you just need a makeover - whether it’s a big chop or colour change – and there's no better place to look for inspiration than your favourite stars. Below are our summer hair icons and the tips you need for nailing the look at home.
Devon Windsor, Margot Robbie and Sienna Miller are ultimate creamy blonde #goals
Sure being blonde is fun…but any –faux blonde will tell you it’s not always sunshine and rainbows. More often than we’d like it’s brassiness and regrowth. We all bring in photos of our favourite blonde bombshells (guesses at how many snaps of Margot colourists have seen?!) in the hopes of mirroring their fresh, creamy locks. But, the unattainable reality is they’re constantly in and out of salon to maintain that brightness. Unfortunately, for the rest of us, we’re lining up our appointments with payday so we need to take extra steps at home to avoid yellow tones and extend the life of our colour.
The Lee Stafford Bleach Blondes Shampoo is a toning shampoo, specifically formulated to refresh and restore blonde highlighted hair while neutralising brassiness. Blonde coloured hair is already particularly prone to breakage due to bleach so using a hydrating purple shampoo that won’t strip the cuticle even further is key! The Bleach Blondes Shampoo is not only moisturising but protects the hair from UV damage too.
- Apply 1-2 times a week to wet hair
- Massage gently into a leather and leave for a couple of minutes
- Rinse well
For a super intensive treatment use Lee Stafford Hot Shots, a concentrated ash shampoo treatment that targets canary yellow tones …in a shot. It’s crammed full of PRO-BLONDE™ complex with extra moisturisers to refresh and revitalise your hair, leaving it bright and icy blonde.
- Wash your hair as normal with your regular shampoo
- Once a week, massage the full ampoule of Hot Shots into hair and leave for two minutes
- Rinse then follow with your usual conditioner
Take a playful risk and try going pink for summer like Kylie Jenner, Hailey Bieber and Lucy Hale.
The modern-day millennial has long held an affinity for pink but this year reached another level. With just about every IT gal turning a pastel shade of pink for summer, we're predicting this trend is here to stay. The best part? You don’t need the expertise or price tag of a celebrity hairdresser to do it! Lee Stafford Bleach Blondes Kiss of Colour Treatment deeply moisturises hair while adding a subtle bubblegum pink tint. There’s also no need to fret about the commitment because it fades out naturally in 1-4 washes.
- Shampoo hair and towel dry
- Smooth onto desired areas and leave for 5-10 minutes – if you’re an err on the side of caution kinda gal we recommend applying to ends only for a pretty dip dye effect.
- Rinse and style as normal
This summer’s forecast: the higher the temperature, the higher the pony. For those with ultra-long hair (or real hair clip-in hair extensions), the Power Pony is set to dominate the more glamorous of summer soirees.
- Spritz Lee Stafford Beach Babe Sea Salt Spray evenly through towel-dried hair for tousled and textured tresses
- Finish off roughly with a blow dryer
- Once completely dry, lift a small section of hair from the halo section of your head and backcomb gently. Or, if teasing isn’t your thing, flip your head upside down a few times to add volume.
- From the mid-lengths down take a curling iron through to your ends. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Gather hair at the crown of your head into a high ponytail keeping the top of your hair as sleek and face-smoothing as possible.
- Finish off with a secure hair tie or for some extra bling a statement hair cuff
Look to Rita Ora, Chrissy Tiegen and Jenna Dewan for beachy waves inspo.
Of course it wouldn’t be a summer hair inso edit without the classic beach waves. But until now, every how-to is either too many steps, too difficult, or too many products. Enriched with nutritious seaweed and a sprinkle of sea salt, the Lee Stafford Sea Salt Styling Mist conditions sun-parched tresses while gently plumping the hair cuticle to add texture and a natural ‘swoosh’.
- Wash hair with your regular shampoo and conditioner. For best results use Lee Stafford Sea Salt Crystal Shampoo and Sea Salt Foam Conditioner.
- From an arm’s length, spray Sea Salt Styling Mist from mid-lengths down
- Tip head upside down and rough dry for extra big hair
- Or, simply air dry for a beachier look
- Roughly run fingers through dry hair to zhuzh it up
- Finish with hairspray to hold. We recommend Lee Stafford Flexible Hold Hairspray as it’s not sticky or stiff and moves with the hair.
Lee Stafford is available from Farmers stores nationwide or online.
What's your favourite summer hair look?