How to make your blow dry last longer
A good hair day is worth its weight in gold, so a good hair week is a true gift from the gods. Following our expert tips and taking a little time on Sunday evening to wash and style your locks will have it good to go for the entire working week.
RELATED: 5 healthy hair hacks
Preparation is key
A blow dry will maintain its style when you use a professional pre-blow dry lotion. If you want body and movement, try a volumising pre-blow dry lotion. For a sleeker look, use a smoothing product. Once these are applied they help gain, maintain and hold the style – but most importantly protect the hair.
Step-by-step at-home blow dry
1. Cleanse your hair with a shampoo and conditioner appropriate for your hair type – this is important to help achieve the style you are aiming for.
2. Once washed, apply a small amount of pre-blow dry lotion to the hair – this can be applied differently depending on the style desired. For root lift, you may need to spray the product at the roots. For a smoother result try applying a smoothing product from the mid-lengths to the ends – this is important as it helps with the finished result. For volume, blow wave hair upside down just using your hands until its 60 to 80 per cent dry - then finish the blow dry with a suitable radial brush. Experts can leave the radial brush rolled up in the hair for a couple of seconds away from the blow dryer after it is dry, this is going to cool the hair into shape.
3. If needed, hot styling tools can be used once the hair is 100 per cent dry.
10 best tips and tricks
- Always use the nozzle on the end of the blow dryer to gain control and stop the hair cuticle drying in all different directions. It makes for a smooth result.
- Try and keep the blow dryer off the brush as the temperature can get very hot and can burn the ends.
- Sectioning the hair while blow drying is very important. Taking the time to do so gives you the best result.
- Using a hairspray with an anti-humidity formula helps maintain the blow dry as it prevents moisture affecting your style on hot days, rainy days and in the shower.
- Use a shower cap in the shower because the moisture from the steam makes the hair drop and/or lose its shape.
- If you have a cowlick, make sure the first thing you do is blow dry it to where you want it. The way it dries is the way it stays.
- Make sure you are always protecting the hair from heat.
- Sleep on a silk pillow case – this eliminates the friction that can occur while sleeping.
- Always use a finishing hairspray to seal the hair cuticle and help keep moisture out.
- Use a deep conditioning treatment at least once every seven shampoos. The heat from the blow dryer can dry out the hair – so keeping your hair in top condition gives you the best finish.
For root lift, try Matrix Total Results High Amplify Wonder Boost, $25
To still achieve a polished look with movement, try Wella Professionals Flexible Finish, $27.
Use a larger brush for more volume, try ghd Natural Bristle Radial Brush, $45
To replenish lost moisture and break the cycle of dryness, try Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Masque, $30.